This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to make KDE update screen information?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jeffss
Registered Member
OS
Since the time I had logged in with my monitor off, every time after loading the workspace every UI element gets too large, I think what is happening is that on that past session KDE got a wrong information about the monitor and after it is always reusing it. I have already tried loading the edid file from both the kernel and X11, based on https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=123087, but unfortunately when the workspace is loaded the information seems to be overwritten; and also clearing the .cache file, based on https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=124690, as one backtrace was citing edid. Is there some other solution possible?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
How about some more information about your exact Plasma version and distribution as well as your monitor setup? Everything else is rather hard to help with if we have to do guesswork...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jeffss
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:How about some more information about your exact Plasma version and distribution as well as your monitor setup? Everything else is rather hard to help with if we have to do guesswork...

plasma is on version 5.19.5, I am using a gentoo system.

I am using a LG monitor, below is the information I got from parse-edid

Code: Select all
/sys/class/drm/card0-VGA-1/edid
Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "20EN33"
   ModelName "20EN33"
   VendorName "GSM"
   # Monitor Manufactured week 4 of 2014
   # EDID version 1.3
   # Analog Display
   DisplaySize 440 250
   Gamma 2.20
   Option "DPMS" "true"
   Horizsync 30-83
   VertRefresh 56-75
   # Maximum pixel clock is 130MHz
   #Not giving standard mode: 1152x864, 75Hz
   #Not giving standard mode: 1280x720, 60Hz
   #Not giving standard mode: 1600x900, 60Hz
   #Not giving standard mode: 1280x800, 60Hz
   #Not giving standard mode: 1440x900, 60Hz
   Modeline    "Mode 0" +hsync +vsync
EndSection
jeffss
Registered Member
OS
Now I could finally resolve the problem, after all the solution of changing the EDID firmware used by the kernel and the EDID on Xorg's configuration was the correct. What I did wrong was using the cvt command with the wrong (standard) values of 1024X768@60Hz; what resolved the problem for me was looking at the Xorgs's log which showed the values being used directly during the sddm initialization and then use it for compiling the EDID sources within the kernel and change the values for Xorg. No problem with KDE, I was just trying to make it update but with wrong values